If you could have the ultimate balanced day, what would you make? My favourite days are the ones where I have enough time to make a healthy breakfast, varied lunch, and a tasty dinner. In an ideal world this would be every day, but alas it’s difficult to find the time!
To cope with the busy days and busier nights, I’ve refined a few of my favourite recipes so that I can make them quickly, and know they will give me the energy to go about my day, no matter what I have planned.
Breakfast: My favourite smoothie
- The night before, slice and freeze one ripe banana
- In the morning, put your frozen slices into your blender, adding a cup of plant milk, teaspoon of cacao powder and a teaspoon of peanut butter
- For an additional caramel taste, add maca powder too
- Blend up until smooth
Lunch: Rocket salad and friends
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half, cucumber and celery into sticks
- Dice some vegan cheese (optional)
- In a frying pan, cook a handful of pine nuts on a low heat, tossing until toasted
- In a bowl, add your washed rocket, tomatoes, cheese and nuts
- Top with a splash of extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt
- For an added twist, top your hummus with a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes
Dinner: You guessed it…
- In a sauce pan, add a cup of lentils and two cups of water, simmering on a low heat
- Once the water is absorbed, add chopped onion, garlic, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes, vegan mince, and herbs (I like dried italian herbs)
- Add any extra veggies you have lying around – anything from bell peppers to celery is good!
- Leave to cook for 20 minutes, preparing your pasta (or courgetti)
- Serve and enjoy!