On the back of my Nutritionist’s advice, I’ve been swapping my smoothies for nut butter-enriched porridges as of late. I’m already something of a fan – you may have tried my Maple + Walnut Porridge recipe last year, or even a bit of Spelt Porridge in the Autumn. I really love oats (or spelt) as a base – they’re warming, filling, and contain key nutrients such as thiamin, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, and iron. They’re also a complete protein, providing 17g of protein per 100g.
This one recipe has become something of a favourite though, and it’s super easy to whip up: I make a large batch on a Sunday morning, have a small bowl fresh and fridge the rest in Kilner jars to take to work come Monday.
Along with this being quite healthy, it’s also just darn tasty! With a base of oats, I’ve been using Alpro Oat Original* to create a creamy texture, and then stir in almond butter, cinnamon, grated apple and dried cranberries for a sweet Christmassy flavour. You can also add honey to this, I like a teaspoonful per serving – not too sweet, not too savoury. If you give this a go, do let me know!
Serves 2 large portions
450ml Alpro Oat Original
2 small red apples
2 tbsp almond butter
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp honey
1 handful dried cranberries
- Pour the oats and milk into a medium saucepan, and leave to soak for five minutes
- Grate the apples – I personally prefer red ones with the skins on as they’re sweeter and add flecks in the porridge
- Put the porridge on to simmer, stirring in the grated apple, almond butter, cinnamon, and honey to your taste
- Once the mixture thickens and gets a little tacky, take it off the heat and serve in bowls
- Sprinkle over your dried cranberries, and store any leftovers in jars for another day!