My DIY 3-Day Juice Cleanse Recipe Plan

It’s finally here! After a long weekend of cleansing, and then a week of posting my recipes, here is the whole plan for you to enjoy yourselves. If you’re planning on embarking on a three-day cleanse, I’d definitely recommend reading my “How to prepare for a juice cleanse” post first, along with making sure your juicer is up to scratch. My main recommendations for the cleanse are as follows:

Shopping list

Below is my shopping list for making your 18 juices, and these ingredients should provide 500ml of juice each time, although feel free to add more of one ingredient if necessary (cucumbers are a great way to make up extra juice, for example). The reason why I’m so heavily advocating 500ml juices is because the cleanse is not meant to make you feel hungry – it should be self-sustaining, and enable you to find a clear division between hunger pangs and mental cravings, enabling you to eat more mindfully in the future.

Try to get the organic versions of these ingredients – as you will be having condensed versions of everything, it’s best to get fresh, clean fruits, vegetables and the extras too. I’ve linked all of the items to Planet Organic, but you should be able to find them all in your local supermarket if you prefer.

Schedule

To make your cleanse even more successful, you should keep to a timely schedule too. Although I didn’t quite manage this, I would recommend planning your day as follows, unless your daily schedule differs to a usual mealtime routine:

• 8:00   – Lemon detox water

Sweet Morning Green Juice
1 apple
1 cucumber
1/2 lemon
2 handfuls of kale
2 handfuls of spinach

1. Start by washing your produce, then slice everything into finger-sized pieces
  2. Feed the leaves with your cucumber through the juicer, then the apple and lemon
  3. Funnel into a glass, skimming off any froth and enjoy!

Beetroot + Carrot Juice
1 apple
2 beets
2 carrots
1/2 lemon
Sliver of ginger

1. On a chopping board, slice up all your ingredients into finger-like pieces. I always keep the skin on, but this is up to you
  2. Juice everything through – you may need to encourage the carrot pieces through by using the other softer produce
  3. Decant into a glass, skimming off any froth and adding water if you’d like

Pineapple + Mint Juice
1/2 cucumber
1 handful of mint
1/2 pineapple

1. Skin the pineapple with a sharp chef’s knife, and slice into finger-like portions
  2. Also cut the cucumber this way, alongside picking a handful of mint and washing well
  3. Now juice everything, with the leaves mixed between the larger chunks
  4. You may need to re-juice the pulp after the first time round, as both pineapple and cucumber are very juicy
  5. Pop in a few ice cubes (if you’d like) and enjoy!

Spicy Raw Lemonade
400ml water
1 lemon
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 tbsp agave nectar

1. Along the length of the lemon, score a cut as deep as the skin. Do the same again, this time in a perfect cross, and then peel the skin off to leave just the segments, then put through your juicer and re-juice the pulp at least once
  2. Now add the 400ml water (preferably filtered), and stir in a pinch of cayenne pepper and one tablespoon of agave nectar

Mean Green Juice

4. Decant into a glass and drink

Raw Vanilla Cashew Milk
145g cashew nuts
1.5 litres of water
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 vanilla bean

(Note: this recipe makes enough for three 500ml portions)

1. Start by soaking the cashew nuts in 240ml water for 2-12 hours (I soaked mine for eight)
  2. Drain the water, and pop the swollen cashews into your juicer while slowly pouring 750ml of water through it too (I would really recommend a masticating juicer, as I’m not sure how a centrifugal juicer would handle this), making sure to re-juice the pulp at least one time afterwards
  3. Cut the end off your vanilla bean and scrape out the paste
  4. Put the cashew milk, vanilla bean paste, agave nectar and remaining water in a blender and whizz up until perfectly creamy
  5. The yield should make up at least three 500ml portions of cashew milk, perfect for the three-day cleanse! You can store the milk in the fridge in-between days, for up to three days.

Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea bag
1 cup of hot water

1. Boil the kettle, leaving the water to rest for a while before pouring on the chamomile tea bag to prevent burning
  2. Leave the bag in during drinking for a fuller flavour

Stick with it

If this is your first cleanse, as it was mine, I really highly recommend finding introspective activities to do during your juicing – meditating, art, and reading are all perfect for this. You may also feel like partaking in light exercise, such as yoga, but try not to do anything strenuous. I took walks in the afternoon to reduce my temptation to eat and also get out of the house – hopefully this will help you too!

No-one says juice cleanses are easy, but the changes in the body’s energy levels, digestive system, and to a certain extent, loss of weight, are an amazing thing to observe and enjoy. You will also feel proud for being able to accomplish such a task without snacking in-between (my usual vice), but if you really desperately need to, cashew nut butter or raw cashews are the best bet. As an advocate for mindful eating, I wouldn’t say juicing 24/7 is a sustainable diet, but it definitely helps kick-start a healthier diet afterwards, and you will be able to minimise mental cravings while fulfilling hunger and thirst.

After your cleanse

Once you have completed your cleanse, congratulate yourself! Observe your body, and how strong-willed you have been. Now, make a plan to stay this healthy, whether it be going vegetarian, introducing juices into your regular diet, or maintaining a no-snacking policy.

It is very highly recommended to eat only raw plant-based meals after your cleanse for the first three days, adding in nuts in the second day and grains in the third. Your digestive system will be slow and you shouldn’t shock it, especially with pseudo-foods on the first few days afterward. Meat will also be hard for it to handle at this point. As always, listen to your body and make a mental plan – you can treat yourself, but do so in little portions if at all.

Finally – let me know how you get on! I’d love to hear about it if you try my DIY cleanse. As an inexpensive and like-for-like cleanse to commercial alternatives, I really hope you reap all the benefits that I enjoyed when establishing it. Good luck!

23 Comments

1. Halima
    October 18, 2018 / 10:38 pm

Hi I was just wondering what did you do with your pulp after? Did you throw it away or is there a use to it?

• besma
      Author
      October 22, 2018 / 11:42 am

Hi Halima, good question – I tried making mine into juice pulp crackers, which were a great way to start onto a healthier diet afterwards. They’re also really nice with hummus!

If that’s not your thing, I would recommend composting the pulp – it’s still full of nutrition so would be great for your garden.

B x

2. Brianna Boyd
    October 5, 2018 / 4:52 pm

If pineapple is out of season and can’t be picked up in the supermarket can you used canned pineapple? And if so in comparison to using 1/2 of pineapple how much would you need if it were canned?

• besma
      Author
      October 6, 2018 / 6:02 pm

Hi Brianna, that’s a good point. Canned pineapple will work, but make sure to get it stored in water rather than syrup. According to this chart, you’ll need around 3 x 430g tins per pineapple. I hope that helps!

3. diana clarke
    August 20, 2018 / 1:12 pm

Hi!
    I was wondering if you simply repeat the same drinks for three days?

• besma
      Author
      August 20, 2018 / 9:29 pm

Hi Diana,

Yes that’s right – the same cleanse for three days. I’ve followed similar cleanses that order their juices in this way, but if you do want to mix it up feel free!

4. Alma
    August 1, 2018 / 2:06 pm

Can I make the juices in advance? for example can I make the juices for the next day or days in advance and have them ready to avoid procrastination and temptation? I work all day far from home and I would have to take all the juices pre-made in the morning when I leave the house around 6:30 am. Thank you!

Also- Did you lose any weight as a side effect ?

• besma
      Author
      August 2, 2018 / 10:59 am

Hi Alma, you definitely can! Just be aware that the juices will start to degrade from the moment you make them, so try to keep them cold up until drinking. I prefer to make them fresh and did my cleanse over a long weekend at home.

The cleanse kick-started a healthier diet and coupled with exercise (I was regularly running at the park and doing yoga) which did help me to lose weight. If that’s your aim, I’d recommend reading my guide to getting into yoga as well! x

5. Nicole Bosworth
    June 27, 2018 / 5:33 am

Hi, would this work healthwise in a thermomix? Obviously it would just be blending the ingredients and may need some water added to drink but nutritionally how different would this be? The blades are very powerful so it’s very quick to blend (not too much heat)

• besma
      Author
      June 27, 2018 / 3:27 pm

Hi Nicole, I’m not familiar with a Thermomix, but it looks like it’s a food processor. Food processors break down food in a different way, and you won’t be able to extract the pulp from the juice. I’d recommend buying a juicer if you can, or find a different recipe plan that will specifically suit a Thermomix!

B x

• J
      August 7, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Juicing also removes all the fibers and pulp from the food, the main stuff our bodies digest. So if the goal is to give the digestive system a break, juicing is a better option because we absorb the nutrients in the juice through our bloodstreams, so we still get food per say, but we do so in a way that minimally activates the digestive system.

I’m a laymen btw, not a doctor or anything. I’ve done several juice cleanses and this is the understanding I have from my own experience. Just to be transparent about that.

• besma
        Author
        August 8, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info J! I agree, juice is definitely digested differently from smoothies. x

6. Lori-Anne Fournier
    June 20, 2018 / 3:52 am

Could i make another juice in the day if I’m too hungry? Like another beetroot one in the afternoon? Or some cashew milk in the morning too?

• besma
      Author
      June 20, 2018 / 6:27 pm

Hi Lori-Anne, I don’t see why not! If you feel like you need another juice, do add it in. The cleanse is more about getting good nutrients into your system and restarting your approach to how you eat. Good luck with it!

B x

7. Carly
    June 7, 2018 / 7:38 pm

About how long does it take to make those juices? Say if I wanted to do it in the morning before my day..

• besma
      Author
      June 7, 2018 / 9:15 pm

Hi Carly, I would estimate it taking around 15 minutes per juice (it’s the chopping and cleaning of your juicer that will take a while). If you’re looking for something more convenient for work, have your tried looking at a commercial juice cleanse plan?

B x

8. Chachi
    May 24, 2018 / 8:22 am

I’m allergic to beets, pineapple, and nuts. Are there things that I can swap for them in the recipes or should I just make the juices without those ingredients? Also would it work just as well if I used a blender and then strained the juices?

• besma
      Author
      May 26, 2018 / 4:16 pm

Hi Chachi, thanks for commenting. My suggestion would be to swap out the beetroot juice for another juice you can drink (such as a celery-based juice), and use another sweet fruit instead of pineapple. For the cashew milk, I would swap this out completely, and find something else that is rich and satisfying before bedtime.

In terms of using a blender and straining, this wouldn’t be a great idea. Your blender breaks the food down differently to a juicer, and it will be very difficult to strain without losing key nutrients, and also getting some of the smaller bits go through to make a bitty drink. I hope you can source a juicer (a cheap juicer one can be around £50 to £70) and enjoy the cleanse!

9. Phoebe Cook
    April 14, 2018 / 12:00 pm

Hi! I was wondering what is the estimate amount you spent on produce?

10. Marnie
    April 8, 2018 / 5:39 pm

Can I make my days juices the night get before I start fir all 3 days? Or do 1day at a time? Trying to decide how I can make this the most successful time wise.

• besma
      Author
      April 9, 2018 / 8:48 am

Hi Marnie, great question. I’ve had people prepare them beforehand, so it is possible, however you’ll get the most nutrients (and best taste) if you do them fresh. If that’s not possible, you could try doing a 1- or 2-day cleanse on a weekend?

I hope that helps!

B x

• Marnie
        April 9, 2018 / 11:42 pm

Thank you for your response… right now I’m not doing a full out cleanse… but I’m drinking juices during the day and having a small healthy supper with my family… it’s just too hard to juice 4 different juices in the am to take to work so I tried making the ones I need at work the night before… tasted great.. so I think it will work out!