It’s been a little while since I’ve posted a smoothie recipe, but with all the pressure of my final year dissertation coming to a head, I’ve been actively trying to eat well and keep myself fuelled for the gruelling work – which has meant smoothies galore! The recipes I usually whip up in the morning involve peanut butter or berries, but I decided to try out creating a smoothie bowl as a kind of half-way house between breakfast cereal and a drink. For added energy, I’ve been using That Protein’s energising organic hemp protein with baobab powder* – both the ingredients are great superfoods, with so much vitamin c from the baobab, a big protein boost from the hemp. I couldn’t be happier with how full and awake this recipe makes me feel after a good morning yoga session – almost happy enough to face a 5,000 word essay!
For this recipe, I would recommend getting a big bunch of bananas a few days prior, so they can ripen (when they’re bright yellow with a few brown spots, they’re best) and then chop them up and freeze them. I’ve got two small pots in which I keep four frozen bananas at any one time, in case I’m in the mood for a bowl in the morning. It’s also great for making “nice cream” – I’ll post a recipe for that soon if you’d like!
BERRY + BANANA SMOOTHIE BOWL
1 banana, chopped and frozen overnight
3 tbsp frozen berries
2 handfuls spinach
2 tbsp That Protein hemp and baobab powder*
2 tsp chia seeds
Splash of almond milk
- Put your frozen banana slices, berries, spinach, hemp and baobab powder into the blender
- Add a splash of almond milk (you can use water but will lose the creaminess)
- Blend everything together – it takes a while for the banana to go smooth and creamy
- Chop up your apple into slices
- Pour out the thick smoothie into a bowl, top with apple and chia seeds, and enjoy!